For the past few weeks, most of us have been spending a lot of time at home. The quarantine due to the pandemic has meant that we suddenly have more time for our hobbies. Book lovers can finally catch up on all their reading in peace and quiet. If you belong to the ranks of bookworms then you’ve surely been irritated more than once by the lost page on which you recently ended your literary journey. Putting between the pages of books random objects that happen to be at hand is also not a very convenient solution. So we know perfectly well what you need! The answer is – a bookmark, and even more than one.
How to make a bookmark yourself?
In the 1980s, when chewing gums were still a luxury in Poland, young people often collected wrappers and claws from iconic gums, such as Donald, in order to create fancy chains from them. Nowadays, using unnecessary packaging is fashionable for completely different reasons. Recycling and reducing the production of garbage makes us look more and more carefully around us, trying to use unnecessary packaging, paper, bags. Since it is now recommended to go to the store as rarely as possible, before we start making a bookmark, let’s look around, what do we have that is unnecessary in our immediate environment?
Paper is a very graceful material from which many practical items can be made. The first suggestion for bookworms is a corner bookmark folded using the origami method. To make it, you need a sheet of paper (can be a page or a newspaper cover) measuring 15cm x 15cm.
Make step by step:
- Fold your sheet in half along the diagonal so that you get a triangle;
- Fold the arms of the triangle inward, then bend them back so you can see the bends;
- Fold the top layer of the paper, then bend the top of the triangle down to its base;
- Bend the sides of the triangle inward, then insert them into the center by bending them in half.
The triangular pocket you received is put on the corner of the card. Now look at your bookmark and think, how can you decorate it? It is up to your imagination whether it becomes a frog, a rooster or a rabbit.
On the Internet there are many ready-made templates that will help us easily create bookmarks in the shape of a fox, cat or bear. To make most of them you only need old newspapers, sheets of paper and scissors. Even the presence of glue or a stapler is unnecessary here. Creating paper bookmarks can prove to be fantastic fun for the whole family during quarantine.
Fabric bookmark. How to make it?
How to use old clothes that you want to get rid of, unnecessary tablecloths or a pair of worn jeans? Nothing simpler – use them to create beautiful bookmarks.
To make them you will need:
- any material;
- elements for decoration: sequins, beads, stickers, etc.
What to make.
- Cut out two rectangles of the same size from the fabric;
- We sew them together on the left side;
- Cut a slightly smaller rectangle from the cardboard so that it can be inserted between the material sewn together in the previous step;
- After inserting the cardboard into the center, we stitch the whole thing with a nice stitch.
- Decorate the overlap. We can sew sequins, beads to it or use fabric paint.
Done! Remember that we are limited only by our imagination in spending creative time.